Thursday, September 9, 2010

International Read a Book Day

In response to Burn a Qur'an Day, two of my friends from high school, Nathan and Isaiah Sage, put together International Read a Book Day. It's a great idea: instead of burning books, let's read them! Check out their video:



I love this idea, and decided to participate by reading an excerpt from The Imitation of Christ, by Thomas à Kempis:



I hope that you, too, will reject Burn a Qur'an Day by reading a book on Saturday. Also, check out the Facebook group and YouTube channel for International Read a Book Day!

3 comments:

Molly said...

I really love this idea and how thoughtfully and articulately your friends are advocating for this. Also, for whatever reason, it really made me want to go have coffee with you at Strada (maybe to discuss Celebration of Discipline). Ahh, I miss you Amanda!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Molly. I miss you, too. Come visit me and Jess in DC! I know a cafe in NE that's almost as good as Strada...

Christopher said...

When I pulled out my Dover edition of The Imitation of Christ to follow along with your reading I discovered it is a different translation.

I just finished reading Melville's Billy Budd so I need to start a new story tomorrow.