Sunday, September 19, 2010

Koi Oh Koi

In the right-hand column of my blog, as you can see, I have added many new items to my DC to-do list.  Having covered most of the more obvious DC adventures to be had, my list grows ever more obscure.  Actually, I've already checked off a few of the new items on my list!

For instance, Jess and I had lunch at the Mitsitam Café of the National Museum of the American Indian a couple of weeks ago.  The Native American food is organized by region, and is so delicious!  I opted for the Indian Taco, a dish from the Great Plains region that consisted of buffalo chili on fry bread with pickled chiles and pinto beans, lettuce, tomato and shredded cheese.  Wow, just wow.  First off, fry bread is incredible; it's kind of like naan, but much thicker and softer.  Also, I very much enjoyed the buffalo meat.  It seemed leaner than beef, and the flavor was great in the chili.  After lunch, I explored the museum itself.  I loved the art, and was particularly amazed by the bead work on display.  I bought myself a little owl made from a gourd in the gift shop, which has made a happy little home out of my school locker.

Jess and I had a great time at the National Arboretum yesterday.  Though there were trees aplenty, I was blown away by the koi pond and the bonsai trees.  Here are a few of my favorite photos:

The Arboretum sells koi food from a gum-ball machine dispenser.  For only 25 cents, you can entice dozens of koi to swim right up to you!

Their colors were gorgeous, and some of the koi were huge!

These bonsai trees are incredible.  Some of them are over 350 years old!

My favorites were the bonsai trees that looked like small forests.  This one has its own little path!  As Jess aptly put it, they look like dioramas.

After the Arboretum, we checked off another item on my to-do list by eating French fries with ranch dressing at The Tombs, a popular haunt for Georgetown undergrads.  The fries were just as delicious as they rumors had made them out to be.  The atmosphere of the place is... well, an undergrad bar/restaurant with sticky floors and no windows (because it's in a basement).  Some people tout the place as a great study spot, but I could not see myself getting work done there, even with free wifi.

We rounded out our Saturday afternoon with a spontaneous trip to the National Cathedral.  I had last visited in the spring of my 1L year, so it was nice to visit again.  The stained glass is so beautiful.  The Bishop's Garden seemed a bit small after the Arboretum--right down to its tiny koi pond--but it smelled wonderful, and we loved the little boy who shrieked with unadulterated delight when he got to pet two lovely chocolate brown labrador retrievers.  All in all, Jess and I had a fantastic, relaxing Saturday that renewed our spirits for the inevitable busyness of the week to come.

4 comments:

cinr said...

Just so you know, every time I see an owl item I think of you.

Erin said...

one more thing for your to-do list: Visit the "Ghost Clock" at the Renwick Gallery!!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/renwick-gallery-of-the-smithsonian-american-art-museum-washington

Unknown said...

Heh, thanks, Cindy.

Erin--how have I not heard about this?! The Renwick Gallery was not on my list because I didn't think I'd care about craft arts and decoration, but, wow, I need to see this. From the photos, it seriously looks like cloth! http://eyelevel.si.edu/2010/05/the-best-of-ask-joan-of-art-the-ghost-clock.html

Christopher said...

The trees look interesting.

It is questionable to add things to your to do list at the same time you report doing them. However, you did add a bunch of stuff still to be done so it is ok.

If you are up for a trip toward Dulles the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center of the Air and Space Museum is there.