Monday, April 22, 2013

In the Pursuit of Pursuits

I was chatting with Alan last night about how long it's been since I last blogged.  For the most part, this blog has served the purpose of updating folks about my life.  However, I haven't felt much like posting for two reasons:

  1. Facebook tends to satisfy my "sharing about my life" fix through little posts of photos and check-ins.
  2. I see so many of the readers of this blog on a regular basis that I often feel like I'm "preempting" myself when I want to share with them the story of an event I've already posted.

Last night, we were also discussing what sorts of hobbies* or pursuits we'd like to take up in our lives.  I really enjoy the many facets of my life right now, but I would like to be more intentional about pursuing some side projects, learning some new things, and generally becoming a more well-rounded individual.

So, I think the nature of this blog may shift.  First off, I'll start posting more than every couple of months.  But, more significantly, I'll be talking less about the day-to-day updates, and focus more on the  novel pursuits in my life.

Here are some ideas that I may decide to pursue:

  • Embroidery/cross-stitch
  • Photography
  • Yoga
  • Cooking
  • Exploring San Francisco
  • Learning about wine
  • Biking

To be posted soon: a fun little embroidery project that I completed in February.

What are the pursuits in your life that make you happy or fulfilled?  What would you like to take up?

*Have you ever looked up hobbies on Wikipedia?  Well, I have, and it's a pretty fascinating list.  For example, did you know that bus spotting was a thing?

5 comments:

Morgan said...

Mark and I decided we needed hobbies a few months ago and we looked at the Wikipedia list, among others. There are some crazy hobby ideas. Also, I'm blown away by your embroidery skills.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget that, even though you've moved back towards many of your readers, you've moved even further away from others.

I always enjoy reading your posts because they inspire me to do more interesting things!

Christopher said...

Focusing on hobbies and other interesting things is a good idea. We might even hear about some of the books you are reading. I should follow suit and talk about my elongated coin collection.

Erin said...

I still read :) I'm a lurker. And I wish I got to see you, but I'm never in town nowadays... :/ but definitely keep posting so I can keep reading!

Krugthethinker said...

I'm excited to see your new posts and projects! It made me so happy to hear about your conversation about the blog with Alan. Eric and I have those conversations all the time. It's one of the best things about being in a relationship, I think:)