Saturday, February 20, 2010

Rachmaninoff

Last night, I went to the Kennedy Center for a concert by the National Symphony Orchestra with some friends. We heard Auerbach's Requiem for Icarus, Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18+, and Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 4 in F minor, Op. 36+.

I know very little about classical music, but I do know that I like it. Last night's performance was dramatic, passionate, surprising, touching, haunting, and, at times, a little bit crazy. The Auerbach piece was delightfully jarring. It is a contemporary piece (composed in 2006), which provided an interesting juxtaposition against the Rachmaninoff (1901) and Tchaikovsky (1878). There was a considerable amount of plucking of the string instruments, and the first chair violinist played the most ethereal, chilling high notes.

My favorite performance of the evening was definitely Denis Matsuev as the pianist in the Rachmaninoff. I had listened to the concerto several times this past week to get a feel for it, but an audio recording simply cannot convey how incredibly difficult that piece is to play. I was blown away! We had wonderful seats through the Kennedy Center's Attend program (best seats in the house for only $10 if you're under 26), so we were close enough to appreciate the impassioned expressions that Matsuev kept making during the performance.

I was also delighted by the little encore that Matsuev did after multiple standing ovations--an incredible In the Hall of the Mountain King! I am so excited that there is a video of him playing it on Youtube:


Equally entertaining was the conductor, James Gaffigan. I love it when the conductor is extremely expressive through his movements, and Gaffigan did not disappoint. I think it helps that he is so young--only 30! During the scherzo of the Tchaikovsky, he actually put down his baton and went all-out gesturing with his hands.

Events like these remind me how fortunate I am to be living in Washington, D.C., surrounded by so much culture and history. Seeing a world-class orchestra for the price of a movie ticket makes me so happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The combination of pianist and acoustics there are amazing: I had to go back and listen to the second half again to make sure there wasn't percussion behind him!

cinr said...

going to see a symphony/opera/theatre event makes me feel all grown up and important :)