We had intended to go to Mass at St. Paul's, the Paulist church in NYC, but the subway failed us, so we ended up going to a service at St. Patrick's. During the collection, David and Daniel were chosen to be ushers, which was rather bemusing.
David and I then went to the MoMA. I was really excited about the MoMA, because I love modern art, but I was not terribly impressed by the first few floors, which featured the contemporary and special exhibits. Part of my displeasure resulted from the decision of the installers to cluster a variety of works by different artists on each wall, creating a collage effect that made it all but impossible to view any one piece independently. It was too distracting. The fifth floor was the best, as it had paintings and sculptures from the 1880s to 1940s. So much good stuff: Picasso, Miro, Matisse, Mondrian, Rothko, Cezanne, Chagall, Dali, Magritte, etc. Oh, and van Gogh's Starry Night is there, which I didn't realize. I was nearly dumbfounded when I saw it, since I wasn't expecting to see it there. It was much smaller than I would have anticipated.After MoMA, David and I got some dinner, and then he walked me to my bus stop. We said our good-byes, and I took a wonderful nap on the ride home. The weekend was exhausting! It was a lot of walking for someone with a cold, and pretending not to be sick is not the most effective way to heal oneself. I'll probably pay for it this week, but the trip was well worth it. It was a legitimate miniature vacation. There is something refreshing about a change of location, even for a little while. Hm, perhaps I'll have to do some more exploration of this coast.
No comments:
Post a Comment