Um, where did September go? Well, I wrote the following post last week, and then things got busy, and I never finished editing it, and thus it was never posted. Oh, dear. I'm going to post it as-is, and move on.
*****
I think it is safe to say that this year is so much better than 1L year. I feel like I know what I'm doing, academically. Certainly, the courses continue to be a lot of work, but I no longer feel unsure of myself, unsure of how to study, unsure of what to expect. Let me tell you a little more about my classes.
Corporations. I never took any courses in undergrad related to business, so this course is really helpful. I feel like I'm learning stuff that "adults" should know, especially with regards to basic corporate structure. This is one of those courses that isn't required curriculum, but is strongly recommended by most professors. I think it makes sense, because corporations are such an integral part of how our economy--if not our society--functions.
Professional Responsibility. I am really enjoying this class! In a nutshell, we meet for two hours each week and debate moral quandaries presented as hypotheticals. I think the discussions have been fascinating, especially when a classmate argues that the ABA's Model Rules of Professional Responsibility are at odds with his or her personal convictions. The course is taught from a public interest perspective, which brings an interesting perspective, as the Model Rules often fail to address issues that fall outside of the traditional role of a lawyer.
Tax Law. I am utterly shocked by how much I love this course. I dreaded taking this class--in fact, I didn't want to take it, ranked it really low on my choice of classes, and considered it to be bad luck that I had gotten in. Boy, was I wrong about this class! First of all, I comprehend the material... which, in all honestly, I was afraid would not be the case. However, what I failed to realize is that the beauty of a dry topic like tax law is how clear the law is. Instead of murky common law, we have the Internal Revenue Code! And, if that's not good enough, we can check out the regulations! It's so simple! I find the course surprisingly refreshing after the ambiguity of much of what we learned 1L year. That being said, I don't see myself becoming a tax lawyer anytime soon, but I think I'll be far more adept at handling my own finances after this course.
Transnational Law Seminar. Pretty much everyone gives me a blank stare when I tell them that I'm studying "transnational" law, so allow me to explain. It is also known as private international law, or conflicts of law. Private international law deals with private parties, as opposed to public entities (e.g., state governments, the EU, the UN). This course fulfills my writing requirement, and I'm tying it in to the note that I will be writing for the Poverty Law journal by writing about the 2007 Hague Convention on the International Recovery of Child Support.
My schedule is pretty nice: no class on Fridays, and only Corporations on Mondays and Wednesdays. I've been attempting to stick to my 9-to-5 work mentality for homework, which has been a good system thus far. Whenever I'm not in class, I go to the library to get work done. I also come to campus on Sundays for Mass, and stick around to get work done afterward. The best part is coming home without textbooks on the Metro, because I'm already done for the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment