Existential crises aside, should I bring the all-purpose, conservative black suit, or should I bring the beige suit with light yellow pinstripes? Hm...
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Does it suit me?
In the process of packing up my room, I have to figure out what clothing I'm taking with me to CA for the summer. I figure I might need a suit once in a blue moon--even though I'm interning with a hip SF non-profit law firm that allows jeans and flip-flops (you read that right, Molly). So, I was trying on my suits (all two of them) to decide which one to bring home, and I started to wonder... When will wearing a suit feel normal? When will it cease to feel like dress-up, like role-playing, like pretend? What is it about a suit that makes me feel like a grown-up, that gives me an extra boost of confidence, that makes me want to give a presentation about something, anything? When I try on a suit, it makes me think of high school debate; when will it feel like everyday attire, rather than a special occasion? I wonder.
Existential crises aside, should I bring the all-purpose, conservative black suit, or should I bring the beige suit with light yellow pinstripes? Hm...

Existential crises aside, should I bring the all-purpose, conservative black suit, or should I bring the beige suit with light yellow pinstripes? Hm...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Unless you are trying to blend into the wall behind you, the black one is better.
Hm, I was going to say the beige one, because it's less "suit-dressy" than the black one. I feel like if you ever need to dress up at the hip SF law firm, it would be better suited.
...I kill me ;)
On another note, when you have to dress up every day, a suit doesn't feel like pretend anymore. Wait til you get yourself a lawyerly job, and you'll know what I mean.
Black since the only time you would need a suit is in an extreme circumstance and since most extreme circumstances would require a black suit. I'm jealous about the flipflops. One of the firms I work with is kind of "hip" and "cool" and I can get away with wearing jeans, but I think flip flops might be pushing it.
at first I was thinking like Erin, but now I agree with Molly. Are you putting your stuff in storage? Have you found a place yet?
I totally wouldn't wear flip flops with homeless people around.
And I love the beige suit. But I guess that's just me...
The final vote (with one from Sarah by email) was 3 to 3. Oh, goodness. I went with the black one, to be practical. Worst case scenario, I could get another suit?
Erin, loved your play on words; way to follow suit.
ya shoulda gone pin stripes!
I'm glad you picked the black one... that's the one I would have picked.
Post a Comment