I've been on retreat this week. Every semester, Campus Ministry offers a Prayer in Daily Life retreat, which I also made last semester. I was in a less stressed mental state this time around, which made for a peaceful and helpful week of prayer and spiritual direction. There was one experience in particular that I wanted to share from the retreat.While I was praying with James 1:19-27, verse 21 stuck out to me. The NRSV refers to the "implanted word"; similarly, in the NAB we are told to "humbly welcome the word that has been planted in you and is able to save your souls." As I meditated on the phrase "implanted word" Lectio divina-style, an image popped into my head of a seed, representing God's word ("and, the Word was God"), implanted in my heart when I was baptized as an infant. Over time, that seed has sprouted and grown into a tree. The tree has wide, overarching branches. When the tree is well-tended, its leaves are full, and it provides much shade. In fact, the shade is so abundant and the tree is so strong that all of the weeds growing out of the heart--such as pride, sloth, and other sins--suffer from lack nutrients and wither away. Furthermore, the tree bears fruit that nourishes others and spreads seeds to other hearts. This is the implanted word to me. In this Lenten season, I pray that we might open our hearts to God the arborist. Amen.
1 comment:
I love the idea about the weeds withering away in the shade of the almighty. Good word :)
Post a Comment