Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Antepenultimate

My Legal Research and Writing professor wins at life for the legitimate use of the word "antepenultimate" in class today. Amazing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good word. Coincidentally, a coworker of mine recently used a word that one doesn't hear every day: omphaloskepsis. Any guesses? One of my favorites, however, is a word that your grandfather insisted I learn to spell as a child: antidisestablishmentarianism. I still have yet to see or hear anyone use that word. (Hey, I just did! Where's my prize!).

Unknown said...

Wow, Urch... Omphaloskepsis?! Hm, no idea. Let me put my bachelor's in English to good use, and attempt to break it down without looking it up...

Om: Omnipresent, omniscient... I think om means "all" or "all around." Or, om as in ooooommm, like meditating?
Phalo: Phalange, finger, a small part of something bigger? Phallic, as in male reproduction?
Skep: Skepticism... as in, the questioning of something.
Sis: I think this suffix means "the act of."

Okay, my guess is that it means "the questioning of being a part of a whole."

I just looked it up: "the contemplation of one's navel as part of a mystical exercise. " Alternately, "an idiom usually meaning complacent self-absorption." Huh. Well, I was on the right track, at any rate. What a word!

Anonymous said...

Cool analysis. Well done. (Scrabble fanatics beware! Amanda has a crazy new word in her mighty logoarsenal!) Speaking of odd words, Wiki claims that the word 'honorificabilitudinitatibus' is the longest word used in all of the works of Shakespeare. Clue to its location: LLL Gotta love that Wacky Will.