Monday, December 8, 2008

‘Twas the Night Before Torts

‘Twas the night before Torts, when all through Georgetown
Not a first-year was sleeping, for none could calm down;
The outlines were reviewed by the students with care,
In hopes that comprehension soon would be there;
The 1Ls were weary, their hearts filled with dread,
While visions of negligence danced in their heads;
And mocha in hand for a practice exam,
I had just settled down to frantically cram,
When out in the quad there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my desk to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
And pulled up the blinds with a thunderous clash,
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a miniature sleigh, and eight tiny reindeer,
With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick.
More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name;
“Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now, Prancer and Vixen!
On, Comet! on Cupid! on, Donner and Blitzen!
To the top of Gewirz! to the Capitol Mall!
Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!”
Then they, to my awe, met my burden of proof
With the prancing and pawing of each little hoof.
As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
I felt in my heart a new hope abound.
Up the elevator St. Nicholas came with a grin,
And knocked on my door—he made quite a din!
As he walked in, the consent was implied;
No trespass to land was intended or tried.
He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;
He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And completed my outlines; then turned with a jerk,
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, he allayed all my woes;
He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew as though by judge’s dismissal.
But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
“Happy studies to all; may your errors be slight!”

2 comments:

cinr said...

seriously, how do you find time to be so creative in the midst of studying?

Molly said...

I am utterly and completely amazed by your cleverness Amanda! Thanks for the distraction! Good luck with your first law school finals!!