Saturday, November 15, 2008

Summit's Up

I would just like to point out that I can literally watch the G-20 economic summit from my dorm window:


View Larger Map

The meeting is taking place at the National Building Museum, next to which I can see dozens of flashing police cars, brigades of bicycle cops, and a series of mysterious white tents. Perhaps the tents are for parking? It is raining, after all, and we can't have our foreign heads of state getting wet. Or, maybe it is a makeshift security headquarters. The incessant sound of sirens isn't exactly conducive to studying, but the activity makes for an interesting view.

Last night, I was near Dupont Circle when, all of a sudden, a bunch of policemen swarmed the area, forming traffic blockades against all of the streets intersecting with Connecticut Ave. I was a bit bewildered, until I remembered that the summit was this weekend, and then I got excited, because I knew that it meant someone important would be driving by. Sure enough, a long motorcade passed by a few minutes later; I counted 8 motorcycle cops, 17 black SUVs, limos and sedans, 2 buses, 6 police vehicles, and 1 ambulance. One of the limos was sporting the Chinese flag, so it's very possible that it was President Hu Jintao! I mean, he's not exactly one of my favorite world leaders, but, still... D.C. is so exciting. (Alternately: I'm a nerd.)

EDIT, 1:10 PM: Ah ha! According to The New York Times, President Jintao headed a delegation of 100 people for the summit, which explains why his motorcade was so huge.

3 comments:

cinr said...

i can see nothing but a street with houses on it from my bedroom window. i guess you win

Unknown said...

Not necessarily. Street beats freeway any day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGHQfvSVDqU.

Jess said...

the fact that an ambulance was part of his motorcade must make the chinese feel SO confident!